I have officially hit the January blues. All of the joyous Christmas festivities are over, and as a Canadian, I am looking towards another 3 months of dreaded, snowy, miserable winter. January blues is a reoccurring thing for me every year, missing the festive season and counting down the moments until I can put my short shorts on for the first time of the year.
Due to this awful feeling, I’ve decided to compose a list of all the little things in life that make me truly, genuinely happy. I figured it would be worth the share to lift any of your spirits who are experiencing the same down feeling as I am.
- Which leads me to my first point – the first time of the season that I slip into those denim short shorts and suddenly feel FREE.
- Waking up and realizing you have 3 more hours to sleep before the alarm goes off.
- Sore muscles the day after a good workout. They are just telling me “you worked me good, you’re on the right path!”
- The green hue from the distance that the trees get in the spring when the buds are just starting to pop up.
- Getting a whiff of your favourite perfume throughout the day reminding you that you smell great
- Opening a hot, fresh box of delivered cheese pizza after a 45 minute wait
- A quiet Saturday night after a hot bath, with countless hours to look forward to of Netflix, silence and alone time
- The highly anticipated first kiss that sends butterflies down to your very core
- That “ah ha” moment when learning new information when everything just clicks
- The birds chirping on a summer morning
- The scent of freshly mowed lawn
- When you get an unexpected flower delivery
- Remembering a fond memory so vividly that it feels like a warm hug
- Just happening to see strangers do something so beautiful that it makes you smile – maybe a mother kissing her newborn baby, or an elderly couple holding hands sitting on a park bench
- First stepping into the hot bath
- As women, we pick ourselves apart. We are our own worst enemies. However, those moments where I offer myself complete acceptance – I look in the mirror and can think “you look nice today, and I like your heart”. The moments where I can see myself offering love and friendship to myself, those are good days.
- Running past your breaking point, and that feeling of accomplishment after.
- Getting home from a salon appointment and appreciating your new ‘do.
- Lighting a brilliant smelling candle for the first time.
- Recognizing your yoga poses are improving.
- Having your pup cuddle up on your lap and look at you with loving eyes.
- That little noise a pop bottle makes when you crack the seal.
- Getting into bed after a few drinks and feeling as though there is literally nothing that could ever beat the feeling of your head on the mattress.
- Making a new friend.
- Deep, genuinely happy, belly laughs.
What are some things that make you the happiest version of yourself?